May 22, 2010

Nate Jones Sculpture Exhibit

Artist Nate Jones will exhibit his “industrial abstract” sculpture on the campus of Marymount College until May 22 2010.  This exhibit, titledCustomers, is open to the public and may be viewed during daylight hours on the college’s lawn areas.  Marymount College is located at 30800 Palos Verdes Drive East, Rancho Palos Verdes.

Jones creates his sculptures from tire shavings. He is employed by a retail tire store. “The work that I call ‘industrial abstract’ began as an experiment with the materials I use every day at the shop,” says Jones. “Although the work will remind you of abstract expressionism, my ‘painterly gestures’ are not spontaneous.  My work is intentional and carefully directed.” His exhibit, Customers was inspired by tire customers.

“I created this exhibit from my experiences with different types of people.  I found a growing desire to represent the tire customer visually in some way, says Jones. “So, to create their portraits, I use the very material for which they come to the shop in the first place – tires.”

Jones has a Bachelor’s in Fine Arts from California State University, Long Beach and studied at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Florence, Italy.

Nate Jones Sculptures Nate Jones Sculptures Nate Jones Sculptures

No comments:

Post a Comment